New Year Update by FSSAI on banned 14 Ingredients from Appendix I
FSSAI has asked the FBO(Food Business Operator) to revalidate their existing and new products as per the notification dated on 23-12-2016.FBO are required to comply with the order by 1st Jan 2018.Scientific panel carefully considered the several representations received by stakeholders for their inclusion. Some ingredients have not been approved by FSSAI to be included in regulations due to-
- Likely to exhibit properties of drugs
- Inadequate data
- Safety issue
Since some of the issues are yet to resolve , FSSSAI made following timelines for FBO:
- Ingredients and additives approved by FSSAI for inclusion:
- According to annexure I, the ingredients/additives which are approved by FSSAI for inclusion are given a time till 30th June 2018 for their reformulation
- In case of new permissible limit, FBO are given time for the period of six months from the date of revised/new formulation.
- Ingredients not approved by FSSAI for the inclusion due to inadequate data:
- The FBOs have given time to submit the data within 4 weeks from the date of issuance. For non- compliance, products containing such ingredients are to be withdrawn from the market immediately.
- Meanwhile, As per Annexure II, FBO are allowed to continue the food business of existing products.
- Ingredients not approved by FSSAI for safety reasons:
- FBO are directed to discontinue food business and withdraw the products containing ingredients namely ‘fluoride’ and ‘Potato protein isolate.
- Ingredients not approved by FSSAI since exhibiting drug like properties :
- FBOs are directed to discontinue the food business of products carrying drug-like ingredients namely ‘Willow Bark Extract’, ‘Pyrol Quinoline Quinone’ and ‘Lemon Bam’.
- For products already manufactured/imported are permitted to be sold till 30th June, 2018.
- FBOs are allowed to sell the formulation containing mere combinations of vitamins and minerals only up to one RDA in dosage formats such tablets, capsules and syrups for the period of 6 months or till the further order, whichever is earlier.
- As per Annexure lll, with respect to FSDU, FBOs be taken under medical advice are allowed to sell their existing formulations containing vitamins and minerals in food for special dietary uses without referring to the energy value(Kcal/K) for period of six months or till further orders, whichever is earlier.